My latest album is called “A New Day,” and most of you know why…
And today is a new day, the first day of a brand new year. I wanted to take some time today, to review last year, and share the things I look forward to this year. In 2016, I did some exciting things, and even marked off one of the things on my bucket list.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
– With my Blue South Band, we helped Gary Anton celebrate his birthday, along with mine, at Bradfordville Blues Club. If you haven’t been there yet, and you’re a true blues lover, you absolutely have to check it out. It’s one of the coolest venues I’ve EVER been in, and once you get a taste of the vibe there, you’ll want to keep going back.
– I spent some time in Nashville, which I hadn’t done in a while, had several co-writing sessions, and even performed in a writers round at the Commodore Club, hosted by Debi Champion. It was great to see and hear old friends, JC Ward, and Diane Gentes! It brought back a lot of memories from the old Bogie’s and Broken Spoke days.
– I performed at more house concerts, and I just have to say that I REALLY enjoy doing that kind of a show. It’s an intimate listening room environment, and I can practically reach out and touch my audience from the stage. I love the feeling of being so close to the fans, and they seem to enjoy the up-close-and-personal concerts.
– I did another singer/songwriter night with my longtime friend, Becky Hobbs, and Lucy Billings, at the Renaissance Arts Center Theatre in Kingsport. There’s something so comfortable about sharing the stage with friends and hearing them sing their own songs. I had the best seat in the house!
– And my friend, Michael Buffalo Smith invited me to do another writers round with Sonny Moorman and Russell Gulley, for a benefit for The Big House Museum. That was a fun afternoon, too, and it was for a good cause!
– One of the most exciting writers shows that I did was in my own hometown of Dublin, Georgia! I was part of the launching of a new songwriters series for ExploreGeorgia.org, celebrating “The Year of Georgia Music.” Levi Lowrey and Greg Hester joined me at the Historic Carnegie Library, and we sang our original songs for my hometown fans. Thanks to Lisa Love and Jody Jackson for putting that show together, and inviting me to be a part of it!
– I also did some shows up in Ohio, Indiana, Alabama, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Mississippi. From a concert in an apple orchard, to clubs, to house concerts, to a membership kickoff event for Marcia Adams and her new Indy Blues Society, to a chapel concert series, to a theater, a museum, and a yacht club, to festivals, to private parties, to a coffee house, I had a great year! I love performing for old and new fans alike, and I’m excited about some things we’re working on for this year. We’ve got some different things on the horizon, and I can’t wait to see how they turn out.
– And last year I did something I haven’t done in 20 years or more – I took a vacation, and went to Wyoming to take pictures!! I hope to knock a few more things off my bucket list this year. Stay tuned!
– Last year set a record for my photography sales! And I won more ribbons, too! I’m so thrilled that y’all like my pictures, and I’ve added some new ones to my photography page. Take a look and see what you think. And if you don’t see what you want there, that doesn’t mean that I’m sold out. I just like to change them up every so often. http://www.EGKightPhotography.com
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Coming up this year, I want you all to be watching out for the movie, “Collar,” too. Five of my songs are in it! I’ve seen a sneak preview of it, and it’s a well-written movie, and you’ll recognize some of the actors – Tom Sizemore, Rebecca DeMornay, Richard Roundtree, and David Patrick Wilson. When it comes out in theaters, be sure to go see it, and let me know what you think! Here’s a link to a brief video snippet of my songs in the movie.
As you can see, it was an incredibly busy year. This year I’ll be at home for a bit, working on a few secret projects. I’ll let you know when they’re almost ready to announce.
And I’ve booked some very cool gigs already, including the Edmonton Blues Festival. I’m excited about some things I’ll be doing, and we’re entertaining other offers, too. Keep an eye on my tour dates page for all the latest.
I’ll be at the IBC in Memphis next month! Who else is going?!? I hope to see you there!
And stay tuned for news on baby goats. I have six pregnant mamas, and expect to have babies any day now! Brownie’s about to pop!