Happy New Year! 2014 recap – Top 5 Best Blues Artists, the new “Goat Report,” a cookbook, Robert Johnson book, Koko Taylor award voting, “A New Day” reviews, and new songs!
I hope that this year has started out good for you, and that it will be the best year ever!
As I’m writing this, I’m thinking about all the good stuff that happened in 2014. Here’s a recap of some of the highlights of my year!
- One of my photos got chosen to be on the cover of a book by James Nuttall about Robert Johnson, and I got a copy in the mail last week. I’m so tickled about that! It’s only available for kindle right now, and you can get your copy at http://www.amazon.com/Preaching-Blues-Times-Robert-Johnson/dp/1505627672
- Several of my mama goats had some baby goats born on Christmas Eve, and they are beautiful! And Sippie’s doing good, and her baby Sip is enjoying his new home and family.
- I was nominated for a Blues Music Award – the Koko Taylor Award! Voting is open to all members of the Blues Foundation. If you’re not a member yet, you can easily join on their website. http://www.blues.org/membership/individual-membership. Then you can vote up till March 2nd.
- Some of my photographs won some first and second place ribbons at the Georgia National Fair.
- I helped produce an album for Lisa Biales, which was nominated for a Blues Blast Award for “Acoustic Album of the Year.”
- My new album came out in September. “A New Day” is getting lots of airplay, and it’s still getting great reviews!
- Several of my recipes were included in the Blues Foundation’s “Cooking with HART” cookbook. You can buy it at http://www.shopbluesfoundation.org/cooking-with-hart, and all the proceeds go to the HART fund.
- Because I was on Vinny Bond Marini’s “Music On The Couch” program, I now have a chance to be featured in his 2016 calendar, for the month of September. And YOU can vote at http://www.musiconthecouch.com/#!calendar-contest/c1uk4.
- I performed at clubs, festivals, and theaters, several in new areas; did a couple of Blues in the Schools events; performed for more private events; did quite a few solo shows, got to do some shows with my incredible Blue South Band, and I joined Lisa Biales for several Peach Pickin’ Mamas shows. It was a GREAT year on the road!
- A song I wrote with Tom Horner and Sunny Stephens aired on “The Fosters” on ABC Family.
- I ended up in the top 5 “Best Blues Artists of 2014″! I’m in good company with Joe Bonamassa, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Gary Clark Jr., and Eric Bibb. Read more about it here. http://www.axs.com/best-blues-artists-of-2014-35943.
I had a good Christmas and New Year’s Eve, takin’ it easy at home with family, friends and my pets. I’m so enjoying watching the baby goats jumping and running. They’re a sight to see. I’ve got a new page on my website dedicated to my goats, so you can check back regularly. Just click on the “Goat Report!”
I’m gearing up for my birthday on January 17th. My Blue South Band and I will be performing at one of our all-time favorite venues, the Bradfordville Blues Club in Tallahassee, Florida. Come one, come all! We’ll have a ball!
It’s time to start thinking about my next album, so I need to write some new songs. I’ll be busy at home writing for a while. I’ll be around Georgia and Tennessee this month, but I hope to see you down the road in the coming months. Keep an eye on my schedule, because we’ll be adding some more tour dates as we get them contracted.
I sure appreciate ALL of you! You mean the world to me.
Keep a song in your heart!
I just wanted to post a quick update, to let you know what I’ve got going on.
First, I wanted you to see how I spent the afternoon a few days ago. When I’m on the road, I miss my family. And I miss all my pets and from this picture it seems the goats miss me! I went down to visit them when I came off the road, and look how they greeted me!
As most of you know, besides playing solo and with my band, I’ve also been blessed to team up with Lisa Biales as the “Peach Pickin’ Mamas,” and we just wrapped up another tour. Read all about it at http://www.PeachPickinMamas.com!
I’ll be hitting the road again this weekend, with a solo show on Saturday night at The Crimson Moon Cafe in Dahlonega. Their website states that they exist to “support the creative spirit,” and that’s so true. It’s one of my favorite venues, and I’m thrilled that I’ll be back on their stage.
I haven’t been on the road as much this year as I’d like to be, because I’m spending a lot of time in the studio working on my next album. I’m getting more and more excited about it by the day. I’ve got most of the songs recorded, and I’m working on a couple more new ones. I’ll be working hard with Paul Hornsby and my band over the next few months getting it all finished up. I can’t wait for you all to hear my new songs!!
Last week at the Eatonton Putnam Arts Foundation 2014 Photography Contest & Exhibition, I won a couple of ribbons. It seems that everybody likes my goats, because this photo, “Goats at the Gate” got one of the ribbons. You can see more of my photography at http://www.egkightphotography.com.
I’ll be in Memphis for the Blues Music Awards next month, then in June I’ll be playing at one of my all-time favorite festivals, the Billtown Blues Festival in Hughesville, Pennsylvania. Keep an eye out on my schedule as we’re working on some new dates and I may be headed your way. Until then keep a song in your heart!
I’m headed out today to perform at a private party for the Chamber of Commerce and the Air Force Base. I’m really looking forward to that!
Last weekend I was performing in Jacksonville Beach, Florida at the Springing the Blues Festival, and what a great time my band and I had playing for all those blues lovers! The weather was perfect and the crowd was too. It’s a wonderful thing when you connect with your audience. It feels like magic, and it’s what keeps us “pickers” going.
Last month I did a show at the Crimson Moon in Dahlonega, in the north Georgia mountains. It’s always a lot of fun at that place, and the crowd and staff are always so good to me. The last weekend in March I was off to east Tennessee. I played at a great theater in Knoxville with one of my blues brothers, Roger “Hurricane” Wilson. We did some jamming and had a ball.
Then I was off to the Tropicana Room in Chattanooga, where several special friends came to be with me. My “roadies” in Ohio, Steve and Nancy Broermann were there, along with good friends from Nashville, Sunny Stephens and Patricia Childs, and very dear friends from Germany, Christa and Norbert Fuhrmann. In fact Norbert is the lead guitarist of my German band, Blue Alley. Needless to say, he and I did some jamming, and the fans seemed to really get into it. My co-writer Tom Horner was there and joined in the fun, too.
As you can probably tell, I’ve really been having a good time performing. It never gets old and only gets better! Thanks to all of you who come to the shows. You are the greatest!
I couldn’t wait to tell you this part too! I recently entered seven photos in a photography contest in Eatonton, Georgia for the Plaza Arts Center, and last week I took home 2 ribbons – one for second and one for third place!
You all know how much I love taking pictures. In fact, here’s my newest one called “The Blues Diva”. I have different versions of it. Which one do you like best?
Let me know what you think about these new photos! I’ll be waiting to hear from you!
And I couldn’t put a post on my blog without a picture of my goats! Here’s one of Sippie and Bluesie. They’re starting to eat regular food, and they couldn’t wait to get to the bucket, and they ended up turning it over!
And look how big Sippie’s getting! I love my babies!
I can’t wait to see y’all again down the road some time! Until then, keep a song in your heart!
UPCOMING TOUR DATES
SATURDAY, APRIL 13 ~ Cochran, GA
Chamber of Commerce and Air Force Base
Private Event / Solo
SATURDAY, APRIL 20 ~ Ozark, AL
Crawdad & Music Festival ~ Noon
One N. Court Square / 334-774-2618 / Band
SATURDAY, APRIL 27 ~ Barnesville, GA
Barnesville BBQ Blues Festival ~ 9 pm
EG will be presented with the Georgia Music Legend Award!
And she will perform a few songs with The Crossroads Blues Band
at Ritz Park Amphitheater
SATURDAY, MAY 4 ~ Hiawassee, GA
BMW Motorcycle Owners of GA Annual Rally ~ 4 pm
Private event / Solo
MAY 7 to 11 ~ Memphis, TN
Attend Blues Music Awards
SATURDAY, MAY 18 ~ Macon, GA
Forrest Gump Private Party / Solo
FRIDAY, JUNE 7 ~ Crossville, TN
Palace Theatre ~ 7 pm
72 Main Street / 931-484-6133 / Solo
SATURDAY, JUNE 15 ~ Eureka Springs, AR
Eureka Springs Blues Weekend ~ Time TBA
At the Auditorium / Solo
FRIDAY, JUNE 21 ~ Townsend, TN
Great Smoky Mountain Heritage Center
Great Smoky Mountains National Park / 865-448-0044
Solo / Details TBA
FRIDAY, AUGUST 2 ~ Cincinnati, OH
Cincy Blues Festival
Arches Theme Stage / 10:15 pm
705 East Pete Rose Way / Band
SATURDAY, AUGUST 3 ~ Columbus, OH
Hey Hey Bar and Grill ~ 9 pm
361 E Whittier Street / 614-445-9512 / Solo
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 21 ~ Perry, GA
Perry Music Festival ~ 8:30
Info coming soon to www.perrymusicfestival.org
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 26 ~ Savannah, GA
Savannah Jazz Festival – 8:15 pm
Band Shell in Forsyth Park in Downtown Savannah / Band
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 12 ~ Daytona Beach, FL
Daytona Blues Festival ~ 3:30
Jackie Robinson Ballpark, Downtown / 386-846-7302 / Band
Dates and times are subject to change.
Please confirm with the venue before making travel arrangements.
Text and photos ©2013 EG Kight
EG can bring her solo or band show to your house concert, club, festival, theater or concert hall. Send inquiries to BlueSouthTalent@aol.com.
Tell your friends they can sign up here to get EG’s newsletters and updates.