I don’t remember the last time I was THIS excited!! I’ve been working for the last year or so on a project, and it’s finally come together!
You know how much I love my goats, and I’ve been trying to figure out how to share them with the world. And now, with my new book, I can!!
This is a children’s picture book, but it has good advice for kids of all ages!
It features a lot of my kids that you already know, like Sippie, Moses, Cotton Top, and Sweetie. And I can’t wait for y’all to see it! I hope it’ll put a smile on your face!
BUY IT HERE!
Happy New Year! 2014 recap – Top 5 Best Blues Artists, the new “Goat Report,” a cookbook, Robert Johnson book, Koko Taylor award voting, “A New Day” reviews, and new songs!
I hope that this year has started out good for you, and that it will be the best year ever!
As I’m writing this, I’m thinking about all the good stuff that happened in 2014. Here’s a recap of some of the highlights of my year!
- One of my photos got chosen to be on the cover of a book by James Nuttall about Robert Johnson, and I got a copy in the mail last week. I’m so tickled about that! It’s only available for kindle right now, and you can get your copy at http://www.amazon.com/Preaching-Blues-Times-Robert-Johnson/dp/1505627672
- Several of my mama goats had some baby goats born on Christmas Eve, and they are beautiful! And Sippie’s doing good, and her baby Sip is enjoying his new home and family.
- I was nominated for a Blues Music Award – the Koko Taylor Award! Voting is open to all members of the Blues Foundation. If you’re not a member yet, you can easily join on their website. http://www.blues.org/membership/individual-membership. Then you can vote up till March 2nd.
- Some of my photographs won some first and second place ribbons at the Georgia National Fair.
- I helped produce an album for Lisa Biales, which was nominated for a Blues Blast Award for “Acoustic Album of the Year.”
- My new album came out in September. “A New Day” is getting lots of airplay, and it’s still getting great reviews!
- Several of my recipes were included in the Blues Foundation’s “Cooking with HART” cookbook. You can buy it at http://www.shopbluesfoundation.org/cooking-with-hart, and all the proceeds go to the HART fund.
- Because I was on Vinny Bond Marini’s “Music On The Couch” program, I now have a chance to be featured in his 2016 calendar, for the month of September. And YOU can vote at http://www.musiconthecouch.com/#!calendar-contest/c1uk4.
- I performed at clubs, festivals, and theaters, several in new areas; did a couple of Blues in the Schools events; performed for more private events; did quite a few solo shows, got to do some shows with my incredible Blue South Band, and I joined Lisa Biales for several Peach Pickin’ Mamas shows. It was a GREAT year on the road!
- A song I wrote with Tom Horner and Sunny Stephens aired on “The Fosters” on ABC Family.
- I ended up in the top 5 “Best Blues Artists of 2014″! I’m in good company with Joe Bonamassa, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Gary Clark Jr., and Eric Bibb. Read more about it here. http://www.axs.com/best-blues-artists-of-2014-35943.
I had a good Christmas and New Year’s Eve, takin’ it easy at home with family, friends and my pets. I’m so enjoying watching the baby goats jumping and running. They’re a sight to see. I’ve got a new page on my website dedicated to my goats, so you can check back regularly. Just click on the “Goat Report!”
I’m gearing up for my birthday on January 17th. My Blue South Band and I will be performing at one of our all-time favorite venues, the Bradfordville Blues Club in Tallahassee, Florida. Come one, come all! We’ll have a ball!
It’s time to start thinking about my next album, so I need to write some new songs. I’ll be busy at home writing for a while. I’ll be around Georgia and Tennessee this month, but I hope to see you down the road in the coming months. Keep an eye on my schedule, because we’ll be adding some more tour dates as we get them contracted.
I sure appreciate ALL of you! You mean the world to me.
Keep a song in your heart!
I just wanted to catch you up on what’s been going on with the Songbird. I attended the Blues Music Awards in Memphis and as always, I had a natural ball. I got to be part of the VizzTone jam at the Rum Boogie on Beale, and talk about a good time! It was happening there! I got to jam with Bob Margolin, using Little G Weavil‘s amazing guitar. It was an awesome evening!
And then the next night, it was the Blues Awards night, and what an outstanding show! I’ve made so many friends by attending the Blues Awards every year and it’s always like a family reunion when we all get together. I met up with my “Peach Pickin’ Mamas” partner, Lisa Biales, and she and I did some radio spots. We did a fun interview with Jesse Finkelstein for Blues Radio International. I’ll let you know when that show will air.
Lisa’s CD is doing great and I was happy to introduce her to some of my friends in the industry. Here I am at the BMA’s with some of my favorite people – Lisa Biales, Reba Russell, and Teeny Tucker.
I’ve been working hard on my upcoming album. My band helped with the arrangements on several of the songs and played their butts off in the studio. I’m so proud of the way they put so much of themselves into these songs. The creative juices were really flowing!
Here’s my band after a session in the studio – Paul Hornsby/engineer and producer, Gary Porter/drums, Mike Harrell/piano and organ, Ken Wynn/guitar, and Johnny Fountain/bass. I love these guys!
And here’s Gary and his wife, Rhonda Porter. They helped me with background vocals, and she’s my soul sister!
It looks like the new CD, entitled “A New Day,” will be officially released in September. But I’ll have a few CD release parties prior to the national release. There will be one in Knoxville on July 18th, one in Chattanooga on July 19th, and another in Tallahassee on August 2nd. We’re working on several more, and we’re also in the process of booking some mini-tours in other states. I may be coming to your town, so just keep an eye on my schedule to see what’s going on. We’ll post the dates as soon as they’re contracted.
This coming Sunday, I’ll be performing at the Billtown Blues Festival in Hughesville, Pennsylvania. I’ll be joined on stage by my Northern Band, some great guys I used to play with some years back. I can’t wait to see them again, and all of my friends in Pennsylvania!
The goats are doing fine and I get such comfort from them when I get stressed. Here’s Sippie and me, enjoying a moment together.
Well, it’s back to work on the new CD. I need to get my part of the cover finished so we can wrap this baby up!
I hope to see you along the way. Until then, keep a song in your heart!
SUNDAY, JUNE 8 ~ Hughesville, PA
Billtown Blues Festival – 2:30-3:30 pm
– Band Show
East Lycoming Fairgrounds
SUNDAY, JUNE 8 ~ Hughesville, PA
Billtown Blues Festival – 6:30-7:15 pm
– Solo Show
East Lycoming Fairgrounds
For the full schedule, click on the “Tour Dates” tab.
.For the full schedule, click on the “Tour Dates” tab.
I don’t know about you, but it’s been raining, raining, and raining in Georgia. My catfish pond has overflowed twice already and we’re still having some rain almost every day. At least it’s kept the temperature down compared to what it usually is down here in the south.
Paul Hornsby and I just finished producing a new album for Lisa Biales. This is the second one we’ve worked on together and I think it’s terrific! It may be out in August some time. It’s called “Belle of the Blues” and I can’t wait for you to hear it. I get as excited about Lisa’s albums as I do mine!
I’ve been busy performing in Arkansas, Tennessee and Georgia. Thanks to all of you who came out to my shows, picked up a cd and purchased one of my photographs.
Speaking of photos, I now have a way for you to get them online. You can go to http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/eg-kight.html and check them out. I love taking pictures almost as much as making music. I’m not a professional but I sure enjoy it!
I have some great shows coming up this week in Ohio. My band and I will be performing at the Cincinnati Blues Festival on Friday night, then I’ll be performing my solo show in Columbus on Saturday at the Hey Hey Club, and then Sunday I’ll be in Silverton performing at a benefit show for “Women Writing For A Change”.
Next week I’ll be back at the Crimson Moon in Dahlonega with artist Heather Wilkerson. She will be painting on canvas, live to my music. It sounds like fun to me!
My band and I will be back in Tallahassee at the Bradfordville Blues Club on August 17th. Now you talk about a fun place – this is one of the best! Then on August 24th I’ll be playing a songwriters night at Eatonton, Georgia at the Crooked Pines Farm in “The Barn”. I’m excited about this new venue and appreciate people who want to showcase songwriters.
My goats are doing fine. My little boys are really getting handsome and Sippie is really growing. I’m so glad you all keep asking about my goats, and that you enjoy them!
Until I see you, be sure and……keep a song in your heart.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 2 – Cincinnati, OH
Cincy Blues Summerfest – 10:15 pm
Women in the Blues Headliner / Band
705 East Pete Rose Way
SATURDAY, AUGUST 3 ~ Columbus, OH
Hey Hey Bar and Grill ~ 9 pm
361 E Whittier Street / 614-445-9512 / Solo
SUNDAY AUGUST 4 – Silverton, OH
Benefit for Women Writing for (a) Change
and Womens Way of Ohio-Kentucky – 7 pm
with Raison D’Etre and Emily Ash
6906 Plainfield Road / 513-923-1414 / Solo
SATURDAY, AUGUST 10 – Dahlonega, GA
Crimson Moon Cafe – Time TBA
24 North Park Street / 706-864-3982 / Solo
special event with visual artist Heather Wilkerson
SATURDAY, AUGUST 17 – Tallahassee, FL
Bradfordville Blues Club – 9 pm
7152 Moses Lane / 850-906-0766 / Band
SATURDAY, AUGUST 24 – Eatonton, GA
GA songwriters event at The Barn at Crooked Pines – Time TBA
355 Harmony Road / 706-347-0274